Dance Movement Therapy “is the psychotherapeutic use of movement and dance through which a person can engage creatively in a process to further their emotional, cognitive, physical and social integration.” (Association for Dance Movement Therapy UK)
DMT is based on the principle that the body, mind, spirit and emotions are inseparable; therefore any changes that take place within the body through movement will have an effect on all aspects of our being.
Who is DMT for?
DMT is beneficial for anyone, and everyone! It is used in a broad range of settings for a variety of reasons.
Locations include: Schools, hospitals, respite services, migrant and refugee centres, aged care facilities, community health centres, psychiatric clinics and private practice.
- Increased self-awareness and self-confidence
- Reduction in physical tension
- Experience the connection between thoughts, emotions and action
- Safe expression and processing of overwhelming emotions or thoughts
- Engaging with innate creativity and nature of play
- Enhance social skills
- Experience clarity and shifts in thought patterns and behaviours
- Expand avenues of communication, interaction and connection
DMT can assist with:
- Body image
- Mental and emotional health
- Grief and Loss
- The effects of trauma
- Anxiety and depression
Dance Movement Therapists are trained in:
- Counselling and group facilitation.
- Holistic work with physical, emotional and cognitive elements of each person, through the body.
- Design and implementation of programs and sessions tailor-made for each client, group and organisations.
- Movement observation, assessment and analysis to develop and evaluate session and program goals according to each client and group.